Wednesday was my 3rd PT session with Martin, and I completed a record showing my long and short term goals.
During this session Martin showed me how to breathe during each rest, which meant that I was getting better results when going onto the next exercise.
Martin continued to work different muscle groups at the same time, as well as cardio. During this session I felt that I was having a good workout and the time went really fast. Martin makes sure that he brings new things to the routine each time, by adding exercises to make it interesting. Also, I am finding it really beneficial with Martin watching my routine, as he corrects me when I am going wrong.
The next day my muscles did ache, lower back muscles, arms and legs, this continued even to Friday’s session.
- Setting goals is a very important way of helping a client work towards what they want to achieve. Goals need to be realistic though, setting unachievable goals leaves you demoralised when you don’t reach them. We will be looking at Claire’s agreed goals in a later blog.
- I worked on Claire’s breathing, both while doing an exercise and during the recovery. A good breathing pattern ensures that your muscles continue to receive the oxygen they need to keep working hard during the session.
- I try to incorporate multi-joints and muscles, and moving in various directions when exercising Claire, so that she is not only improving her fitness and burning calories, she is also training in a functional way, meaning she is making the movements she uses in everyday life and activities more efficient, stronger and decreasing her risk of injury.
During Friday’s session, I felt an improvement on my fitness, as I made sure that I concentrated on my breathing, as I found this helped during and after each exercise, my recovery also seems to be getting better.
Martin continued to build in new exercises, making the session slightly harder, but not pushing me too far. Martin seems to be building me up slowly, and monitors my progress on the way.
This is my fourth session and I am feeling better in myself already, and really pleased that I am really doing something about my weight and fitness and can see slight improvements already even during this very short time. Martin always makes me feel relaxed and he gets the balance right. I find the gym friendly and nobody is judging. The gym is very well positioned, as it is right next to the Cheltenham train station and a very good bus service.
Martin has also asked me to complete an activity diary for 7 days.
- The gym I am training Claire in is called Trimnasium. I spent some time finding a gym suitable to train my clients. I needed a gym which would allow me to train my clients in a functional way, where my female clients would feel comfortable, somewhere which had the tools to train in a fun way and somewhere which has plenty of parking and easy to get to. Trimnasium is everything I was looking for. I have trained clients there for well over a year now and with it’s mixture of tyres, ropes, sledge hammers, TRX, prowler, PowerBags and many more toys I’m still coming up with new and fun exercises.
- I have asked Claire to fill in an Activity diary for the next 7 days; although it can be time consuming it’s a great tool for making your lifestyle more active and healthy. I will discuss in a later blog when Claire has completed the diary.